Sunday, February 3, 2008
some holiday output
I managed to keep up with my somewhat unrealistic goals of making fingerless mitts for my colleagues at the office in a fairly short time. I started the purple pair in November, but made all the Noro ones in December (to be handed out on 18 Dec).
For the purple Serpentine pair, I used some mysterious Chinese 100% wool sock/baby-weight yarn. The pink ball-band has a nice photo of some sheep on it, and it comes in 100g balls. I think it cost about $1.20 CAD a ball in Beijing.
I really like this pattern and already used it again since then. I used the charts without any problems, but my friend who used the word instructions found errors in some of the rows.
I found the ribbed Maine Morning Mitt pattern (scroll down at that URL to download free PDF) also very clear and easy, and made three pairs from Noro Kureyon for my remaining colleagues.
The non-ribbed pair was from a free web pattern, and my problem with that one was that it required more than one ball of Noro to complete the pair.
While I am not sure my colleagues would mind if the mitts were really not matched, I tried to work with the Noro as best I could to make them somewhat similar.
I was not happy with the knots in the Noro, and am not sure I would use it again for this type of project.
One of the patterns explained the stretchy sewn bindoff, which I used on all of the above mitts.
I believe all the mitts were happily received!
Lisa in Toronto