Wednesday, September 19, 2007

handspun mitts

Hi all! I've been meaning to introduce myself and share a finished pair of fingerless mitts, but haven't had a chance until now. I'm Rachel, and I blog over here. I'm a knitter and a spinner, so when Keri announced this knitalong, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to use up some of my handspun for something useful. Besides, the weather in my part of the world is already quite chilly, so these mitts have come in handy. Actually, I'm wearing them as I type this post! :)


fingerlessmitts
Pattern: My own
Yarn: my handspun Shetland wool, roving dyed by Amy of Spunky Eclectic
Needles: 4.5mm Addi circulars
I made up the pattern as I went along, simply by multiplying my hand measurement by my gauge. I tried the mitts on as I knit, to determine where to start my gusset increases and where to cast off. I just used a simple 2x2 ribbing on the edges. The mitts aren't spectacular, but they are functional, albeit a bit on the bulky side. At some point, I'd love to knit a pair of Endpaper mitts.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else knits!

9 comments:

Hattie said...

They are very pretty! I love that you spun the yarn for them. If I could figure out how to spin something other than laceweight...

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

They are very good-looking fingerless mitts! And where did you get that great coffee mug?

nuttnbunny said...

Oh but they ARE spectacular! Love the use of handspun. I've just set the twist on some merino and may use that for the next pair after I finish Fetching.

So nice to see some Spunky in action. I just joined her Fiber Club and am anxiously anticipating my first shipment. :-)

Angelika said...

Great mittens. And did you say endpaper? Let's do another KAL within the KAL? They are on my list too.

Sissel said...

Love the colors and that it is a handspun. I had a peak at your site; you make really beutiful yarn.

Vanessa said...

Awesome! I love those colors. I too shall post my finished mitts tomorrow from my handspun. Handspun yarn is unique and knits up so differently than reg yarn! Love love love them!
Vanessa

Liz K. said...

Your handspun is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful and I love the little sheepy mug too!

Anonymous said...

Your mitts are beautiful, Rachel! You did such a nice job on your yarn.