Friday, September 14, 2007

Here are the first pair of fingerless mitts I've finished after formally joining the KAL:

fingerless-gloves-playing-piano.jpg

I didn't set up this shot, this is just what my daughter, 'the Gothlet', decided to do after I gave her the finished fingerless gloves.

These are based on the fingerless gloves from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts" by Joelle Hooverson.

I modified them by using fingering weight yarn

goth-yarn.jpg

Merino/Tencel blend, colorway "Goth", from etsy seller Ashabee05

with 48 stitches on size 1 needles.

gothlet-gloves-again.jpg

This is basically a tube in spiral rib stitch, with a slit for the thumbs. The spiral rib has so much elasticity that these fit me as well as my nine-year-old. (I also made them long on purpose to keep her skinny little fingers warmer.) I started these on the walk for breast cancer research last weekend and finished within a couple days.

This in plain 2x2 rib is my 'go-to' pattern for fingerless gloves (like these below I finished a week ago), except usually I make the whole thing in 2x2 ribbing for hand-hugging; however, these are guitar-playing gloves for my husband, so I wanted to keep the palm smooth. They are made in elann.com Esprit, which is like Cascade Fixation, a (supposedly) fingering weight cotton/Lycra type yarn.

I am designing a pair of soft, warm, light fingerless mitts designed for indoor wear, with the prototype being made for my daughter's piano teacher, who has circulation and arthritis problems. These will have a thumb gusset to keep the base of the thumb (frequent place for arthritis) warm. I'm excited about the first one because it fits everyone in my family, so it may be a good universal pattern to do something with!

Also on my to-do list are Endpaper Mitts by Eunny Jang; I have some yarn that I think is going to look fantastic with this. Or really awful. We'll see.

Such a long post! Sorry, I love these fingerless mitts!

Cathy

http://hitherandyarn.wordpress.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow what beautiful mitts- you sure are prolific! =) I love it!